Thursday, April 7, 2011

new signs!

So, let's back to October 2010. First time on USA, Oh Yeah! I was so excited to be here, I planned all my trip, I booked a hotel to stay a couple of days, I had some google maps printed, just in case.. In the first day, my portuguese supervisor was here to help me but then...aaaaaah! I was so lost, OMG! and I'm usually good taking directions but, I don't know: maybe jetlag+too many people speaking english very fast+strange warm weather in October... and of course, a lot of new signs at the streets!! Not to mention all those one-way streets.. 
West Broad St., East Cary St., North 1st St., South 13th St.,.. It's very easy to understand because is very organized, but I have to say that, at that time It wasn't so easy. I wasn't used to all of this nomenclature, in Portugal we don't have that!, the cities aren't like that we have to know the name of the streets or just taking some directions from the signs.. So, the first days were simply terrible. I'm telling you! One time, I decided to explore the city and look for a grocery store (simple task!), I plan the trip with google maps, I though it was very simple so I memorized the directions and when I went out from the hotel and walked for a couple of blocks..BAM! I was completely lost!.. lol

Was only a matter of days to get used to.. and now I have everything under control, I guess..

JB*





Estou aqui nos states desde Outubro de 2010, oh Yeah! Estava tão entusiasmada com a minha viagem, planeie tudo direitinho, reservei um hotel por uns dias (pelo menos até encontrar casa), imprimi uns googlemapas,…No meu primeiro dia ainda tive a ajuda do meu orientador português, mas depois quando ele se foi embora..aaaaah! estava tão perdida! OMG! E até tenho bom sentido de orientação mas não sei.. talvez jetlag+demasiadas pessoas a falarem inglês e demasiado depressa+calor esquisito em Outubro.. e claro, muitos sinais novos nas ruas!! E muitas ruas só de um sentido, agora de dois, agora de 1! grrr..

West Broad St., East Cary St., North 1st St., South 13th St.,.. é bastante simples de perceber o esquema porque é organizado, mas tenho que confessar que não foi nada fácil. Estava habituada a Rua D. Pedro V, Avenida Lourenço Peixinho, Travessa das flores, sei lá.. de inicio, foi realmente terrível! A sério! Uma vez, decidi fazer uma pequena saída à procura de um mercado (tarefa aparentemente simples!), planeei no googlemaps, como achei que era fácil, memorizei o caminho, sai do hotel, andei uns blocos e… BAM! Estava completamente perdida!.. lol

Mas bem, foi só uma questão de dias.. agora tenho tudo sob controlo, acho..

JB*

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...